Marriage Moment: Just For FunJuly 28, 2011
Life can be pretty stressful with multiple demands placed on your marriage. Look for opportunities just to have fun. Try these simple ideas to stay connected with your spouse.
1. Choose one night a week to curl up together on the couch with dessert, candles and favorite music. Discuss something more than work and your children.
2. Push back the furniture, put on your favorite old music and enjoy dancing with your husband.
3. If your bathtub is large enough for two, pick up a special snack, put the kids in bed and enjoy soaking in the tub together with your snack and a special drink. It makes a great cheap date.
4. Take a blanket to the park, lay down and watch the stars come out.
5. Surprise your mate by having a babysitter planned and “kidnap” him or her to a nearby hotel with a day rate. You can enjoy time alone for an afternoon to early evening before returning home.
6. Take turns planning a get-a-way weekend. (During residency, I didn’t think we could afford this, then after getting family to come watch our children and then enjoying a couple of nights away, I realized we couldn’t afford not to. It did a great deal to boost our marriage.)
7. Find a romantic story to read to each other. For example, a Nicolas Sparks book.
8. Read Song of Songs to each other. Caution! It’s hot!